“All that we are is the result of what we have thought. The mind is everything” –Buddha
So, what is the Law of Attraction? Just keep reading and you will find the answer to this question. But I need to tell you in advance that the answer may change your life profoundly. Are you ready for such a change?
The Law of Attraction is interesting because it could be defined in one small sentence, yet it could take several books to completely understand it. In this article, I will offer you my “coles notes” or “cliff notes” version of the law and how to apply it to your life. As well, I highly suggest that you take the time to study this subject, using more than one source of information. What you find will blow your mind. The lens through which you see the world will change. Finally, you will truly understand why your life is the way it is, but more importantly, you’ll know how to make it so much better!
The Law of Attraction is defined as “like attracts like.” In practical terms, it means you get what you think about. It’s a universal law that governs everything. Whether you believe in it or not, it is doing its job and affecting your life every day, all day. This law has and always will exist.
In my opinion and many others, it’s the most powerful law in the universe. Its sole purpose is to bring into your life what you are predominately thinking and feeling. In other words, it serves to create the reality you have brewing in your head. The bottom line is that you attract everything into your life….the good, the bad, and everything in between. This may be unsettling to hear at first.
Initially, I was in denial too. Likely, your first response would be to say that you would never have created the terrible things in your life. And you’re right, nobody wants the terrible things. But, I’m here to say that you did attract it, just not on purpose. You see, the sneaky thing about the Law of Attraction is that it’s completely unbiased. It doesn’t judge at all. It just responds to your thoughts and feelings. So, whether you are focused on something good or bad, the law will respond to it impartially. In other words, it’s your focused attention to a subject, whether you want it or not, that attracts it into your life experience.
For example, if you’re focused on your lack of money, the law of attraction will give you more reasons to feel a lack of money. On the other hand, if you feel good about your finances, the law will bring you more reasons to feel good about your money. Another example is your thoughts about your body image. Perhaps you are overweight and wish to be thinner. If your thoughts are predominately focused on how big you are and your inability to stick to a diet, then the law of attraction will keep those pounds on and you will not find a diet that works for you. On the flip side, if you believe that losing weight is possible and that there are effective diets available, then you will lose the weight and find a diet that works for you. These are just a couple of simple examples, but it applies to all subjects in your life.
How to Apply the Law to Your Life
So, now you’re beginning to intellectually understand this law. But, what can you do with it to help you live a better life? Below are 4 steps that can assist you getting what you really want.
- Accept the Law of Attraction
- Improve your well-being
- Practice positive creation techniques
- Collect the goodies
Step 1: Accept the Law of Attraction
It’s very important that you understand this law fully. I have found it useful to use a number of sources since they offer their own unique perspective on the law. In other words, when you research a topic from multiple angles, you gain a broader and deeper understanding of the subject.
When you get it, you will personally witness the correlation between what you’re thinking and feeling and what manifests in your life. The people, events, and conversations around you are all reflections of your inner thoughts and feelings. In time, you will come to appreciate its consistency and predictability. You will feel more in control of your life. The law becomes your companion so to speak. And, together, in perfect partnership, you and this Law can create the life of your dreams.
Step 2: Improve your Well-being
As you now know, your thoughts and feelings create your experience. Hence, it’s obvious that you must improve your thoughts and feelings if you want to improve your life. No matter how difficult your current circumstances may be, it’s imperative for you to figure out ways to feel better. Otherwise, you’ll just continue to create similar challenging circumstances. Luckily, there are a multitude of options out there to help you. I will list the top 6 strategies that I’ve discovered to work best for me. But, I must point out, that everyone is different and I suggest that you spend some time trying to figure out what makes you feel better. The bottom line is that you must find ways to feel better if you want to create the life you desire.
- Meditate – There are many different types or methods of meditation. All forms have the same goal of achieving inner peace and relaxation. My advice would be to explore a few and decide which one helps you the most. It’s important to meditate regularly in order to reap the benefits of it. I’ll be posting a great article on Meditation soon!
- Sleep well – I’m sure you already know the importance of a good night’s sleep. Without adequate sleep you feel terrible. The average adult requires eight hours of sleep a night. There are many benefits to proper sleep including improving your concentration, mood, and overall well-being.
- Eat well – There is no doubt about it. When you eat healthier, you feel healthier. It boosts immunity, improves your mood, and ups your energy.
- Exercise – Please exercise regularly, outside preferably. The benefits are profound. Exercise can improve many aspects of your life including mood, energy, sleep, and sex life.
- Music – Let’s face it, “good” music is loved by everyone (well, almost everyone). It has so much power. It can make you feel so many emotions. You should listen to the music that lifts your spirits, gets you excited, or pumps you up!
- Serve our World – We are all interconnected. Helping others feels good. It doesn’t matter how you serve and it doesn’t have to cost anything. Just get out there and help. Go to the local food bank, help a child in need, or donate to your favorite charities. The bottom line is that when you make others feel good, you, in turn, feel just as good or better.
Step 3: Practice Positive Creation Techniques
By the time you reach this step you’ve figured out ways to feel better. Already you are noticing that your life has improved. Through training yourself to think better thoughts and consequently feeling better, the law of attraction is bringing better things into your life. The intention of this step (step 3) is to create what you want, on purpose. In other words, it’s time to be clear and focused about what you want in your life. Do you want more money? A new house? More free time? A better job? A better relationship? The following are just a couple of techniques you can use to assist you in achieving your desires.
- Vision board – In my opinion, this is one of the best tools to help you visualize your dreams and keep you focused on them. Visualization is a powerful process that can bring your dreams to life. It’s quite simple and fun to do. You can have one theme or multiple themes for your board. Just get a board, such as a cork board or poster board. Cut out pictures or images of things that represent what you want and make you happy. You can also put affirmations on your board. Once completed, hang it in a place where you can see it every day. Take some time, at least once a day, to focus on the board. In time, the stuff on your board will become your reality.
- The Focus Wheel – The Focus Wheel is a process that I use routinely. I discovered it when I read the amazing book “Ask and it is Given” by Esther and Jerry Hicks (Abraham). I highly recommend that you read this book. I often use the focus wheel process when I’m feeling negative about something and I want to change it to a positive feeling. All you need is a pen and a piece of paper. Please refer to this book for an accurate description on how to do a focus wheel as it would be impossible for me to sum it up into a couple of sentences here. Essentially, this process can effectively and quickly improve your thoughts and feelings on any subject in your life.
Step 4: Collect the goodies
If you’ve closely followed the first 3 steps above, I’m sure you’re already reaping the benefits! The things you want in your life will be flowing to you. The more you focus on better thoughts and feelings, the better the reality you create for yourself!
Photo credit: Salvatore Vuono from freedigitalphotos.net